Re: error in cvs head: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error in cvs head: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5
Date: 2007-02-25 08:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com> writes:
> > psql:bogus_varattno_error.sql:23: ERROR: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 5
>
> > Any ideas what is causing this?
>
> This looks pretty nearly related to stuff I've been hacking on recently,
> so I suppose I broke something :-(. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

This should help. I managed to whiddle the example down even further.

CREATE TABLE a (
a_a text
);
CREATE TABLE b (
b_a text
);

CREATE TABLE b_chld () INHERITS (b);

EXPLAIN SELECT a_a FROM a LEFT JOIN b ON a_a = lower(b_a);

Results in:
ERROR: bogus varattno for OUTER var: 2

The function call and the inheritance are both required, remove either and
it works fine.

--
This is the ____LAST time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!