Re: 7.4 JDBC driver with 8.1 server?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 JDBC driver with 8.1 server?
Date: 2006-02-17 20:52:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
>> I also might consider using an 8.2dev driver that has been adjusted to
>> set the stringtype[2] parameter to unspecified. This would reduce the
>> impact of the 8.0 changes while still providing new features.
>
> This sounds like a pretty good idea to me, but I doubt Red Hat will go
> for shipping a devel-snapshot driver ;-). What I could possibly sell
> them on is an 8.1 release driver plus a patch just to enable the
> stringtype=unspecified behavior. Do you have an idea how large such a
> patch would be, and how painful to prepare it?

The original commit which includes the patch is here:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/pgjdbc-commit/2005-November/000416.html

Unfortunately it includes a number of other cleanups to other things as
well, but filtering that out should be pretty easy and the codebase really
hasn't changed much since 8.1.

Kris Jurka