Header problem

From: arun kv <arun(at)library(dot)iisc(dot)ernet(dot)in>
To: PGSQL <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Header problem
Date: 2002-05-20 09:33:10
Lists: pgsql-php

Hello Sir,
I am designing login page for user authentication.

Here is my sample code:
index.php

<? ?>
<form action="login.php" method="POST">
Username <input type="text" size="10"
name="username">
Password
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Log In"></td>

login.php

<?php
// login.php - performs validation
// authenticate using form variables
$status = authenticate($username,$password);//function which returns an
//integer either 0 or 1
// if user/pass combination is correct

if ($status == 1)
{
// initiate a session
session_start();
// register some session variables
session_register("SESSION");
// including the username
session_register("SESSION_UNAME");
$SESSION_UNAME = $username;
// redirect to protected page
header("Location: /securejlt.php");
exit();
}

When I enter username and password in index.php and give submit, am
getting the error "headers already sent".
The manual says that wwe should not have any echo statement before
header statement. I am not using any echo or print statement before header
function is called in my login.php.
I am not able to make out what the problem with my code.

Please help me out in this problem

Regards,
Arun