Getting started in a hosting environment.

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Getting started in a hosting environment.
Date: 2001-07-31 01:22:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello folks,

I want to state right off the bat that I _know_
these are very basic questions, and most can be answered
with an understanding of SQL. I am very new to databases,
but I am _not_ asking for answers. You folks have much
more important (or fun) things to do with your time. :)

What I'm asking for is pointers/URLs/known
gotchas, that people with much more experience might be
able to give me. I can do my own reading and put in my
own time learning this. I'd just like a little help
starting out.

I need to:

* Give a handful of users their own databases
* They should have admin access over said databases,
but should not be able to create new databases
* They should be able to add users, etc, but not
be able to give admin access to users
* They should have full control; ie, they should
be able to drop tables, add users, etc - but
ONLY for _their_ database
* The postgres user should be the only one that
is the 'superuser'

I host a handful of websites for good friends of
mine. I have built out a machine to run PostgreSQL, but
now I'm at a bit of a loss on where to go. PostgreSQL is
installed and happy. I can handle the access rules for
Postgres (pg_hba.conf), that's no big deal. I'm just
kinda lost within the database itself.

Could any of you recommend some good resources for
configuring a "hosting" environment for Postgres?

I appreciate any hints/tips/HOWTOs/etc that this well-learned
group could offer me. Thanks! :)

Benny

ps: If it's important, this DB is running on OpenBSD
2.9, PostgreSQL 7.1.2 (thanks Brendan!), PII-233 (for now),
196M of RAM. I have 36G of disk dedicated to PostgreSQL
on a separate IDE channel, with 7G of OS space on the
primary IDE.