Re: [SQL] Limit rows

From: Mark Jewiss <Mark(dot)Jewiss(at)knowledge(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Limit rows
Date: 1999-09-29 16:09:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> select * from table limit 5,10;

Excellent, that works perfectly. I've done a grep over the html
documentation, and can't see anything regarding the limit feature (if I've
just missed it and it is there could someone provide a pointer please?).

I'm interested now in how this method actually works - is a query
performed that reads all of the rows of a table into memory, and then the
non-requested rows are discarded before the results are sent back?

I'm interested in how this would work with a massive table......

Regards,

Mark.
--
Mark Jewiss