DISTINCT not working

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: DISTINCT not working
Date: 1999-06-13 20:15:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have this view that is based upon selecting distinct values of a column
and providing the count of rows for that distinct value. It is being
used in an application so that when it is started (via a web browser),
various statistics about the database are shown. This has been working
fine for about 2 months, but suddenly, on Friday, the view stopped
working, it returns a single row with an empty value and a 0 count.

If I do a direct SQL statement to pull out the distinct values frm the
base table, it also returns a single row. The values are there, as there
are over 100,000 rows in the table, and there should be about 6 distinct
values for the column in question. I tried reindexing, vaccuming, and
everything, but cannot figure out why any statements selecting distinct
values on this table aren't working.

Why would this happen? Has something gotten corrupted?

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Look, we play the Star Spangled Banner before every game. You want us
to pay income taxes, too?
-- Bill Veeck, Chicago White Sox