unmatched

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: unmatched
Date: 1999-06-11 00:08:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I seem to have a serious brain fart going here. I have two tables, and
I want to find out which rows that are in the first do not have a match
in the second. If I could create an explicit left join, I could do it by
finding the rows in the second column that are NULL. Here's what I kinda
have, but itjust sits there and never returns anything:

select count(*) from apdf
where apdf.doc_index != ondisk.doc_index;

I tried the NOT IN operator (!!=), but it didn't like that at all. Is !=
a valid operator?

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the same
thing as division."