Re: Extreme Newbie Questions

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Lydia Osborne <osborne(at)wc(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extreme Newbie Questions
Date: 2001-03-23 01:51:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Lydia Osborne wrote:

> Hello all,
> What version of Linux does ProgreSQL run best on? The references I've been
> able to find only mention RedHat.
> Also, does anyone know of a web-based e-mail app that coexists peacefully
> with it?
> Thanks!

PostgreSQL is rigorously tested on a number of different operating
systems. Not just linux. If you're dead set on a flavor of linux
you can try Suse, Debian, RedHat, etc... I don't use linux so I
can't tell you much about any of them, although I've always heard
good things technically about Suse and plan on looking at it in the
not too distant future. If you're not really stuck on linux you can
look at the *BSD family. I'll not get into the linux vs bsd stuff,
but FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and BSDI are all a good choice for any
of your server needs - database or otherwise. Yahoo runs FreeBSD.
Ok, so I'm biased.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com