Re: case, new column not found

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: case, new column not found
Date: 2001-06-21 23:46:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, [iso-8859-1] Martn Marqus wrote:

> I'm trying somethings here and I get strange errors:
>
> select *,(
> (CASE WHEN titulo LIKE '%Matematica%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) +
> (CASE WHEN descripcion LIKE '%Matematica%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) +
> (CASE WHEN incumbencia LIKE '%Matematica%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) )
> AS encontrados
> FROM admin_view
> WHERE admin_view.nivel=1 AND encontrados > 0;
>
> ERROR: Attribute 'encontrados' not found
>
> Why is it? encontrados should be an attribute of type INT with the count of
> the rows found.

IIRC, unless "encontrados" is both a pre-existing column of
admin_view and the name you're using in the select, it's only an item in a
select list. It's not an attribute and since select list processing
happens after where clause processing (since you need to know which rows
to do it to -- imagine expensive computation in select list -- you
only want it to occur on returned rows) it isn't visible to the where
clause.