Re: OLD.oid issues...

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)inquent(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OLD.oid issues...
Date: 2001-01-18 20:58:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Rod Taylor wrote:

> create table example (
> original_oid oid REFERENCES table(oid)
> ON UPDATE CASCADE
> ON DELETE SET NULL
> );
> --
> ERROR: UNIQUE constraint matching given keys for reference table "table" not found
>
> Postgresql 7.1beta3. I'd consider these to be bugs myself but I've not =
> tried them in previous versions to know if it's really just a new =
> feature :)

Actually I know the latter never really should have worked in past
versions. It may have let you define it before, but I believe it would
have errored on the actual fk constraint when used, now it just won't let
you define it. I think referencing oids is on the todo list (although
you have to give ref actions like the ones you have or the constraint is
pretty ugly).