Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition in New Bench mark Tests

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'Matthew Kirkwood'" <weejock(at)ferret(dot)lmh(dot)ox(dot)ac(dot)uk>, merlin <merlin(at)sixdegrees(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition in New Bench mark Tests
Date: 2000-08-16 15:24:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> >*that* is a test that I've love to see the results of ...
>
> That's how the normal TPC testing is done, I believe. Except on huge
> honkin' hardware.

Okay, my understandign of the 'normal TPC tseting' is that Oracle goes
out, buys this major system to run their tests on and submits those
... then MicroSloth goes out and buys one that happens to be bigger and
faster to run theirs on and submits those ...

... the idea being that you basically invest the money into the hardware
required to make yours look good, but all run the same test suite ...