Why must -N be >= 16?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why must -N be >= 16?
Date: 2000-01-14 05:54:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just trying to start up a 'mini-process' of -B 8 -N 4, and it tells me
that -N must be >= 16 ... why?

documentation doesn't seem to imply/indicate this, should it?

-N n_backends
n_backends is the maximum number of backend server
processes that this postmaster is allowed to start.
In the stock configuration, this value defaults to
32, and can be set as high as 1024 if your system
will support that many processes. Both the default
and upper limit values can be altered when building
Postgres (see src/include/config.h).

For security reasons, I have a server running on its own port, and I want
to restrict the amount of shared memory that it uses, and I know the app
will never open more then 4 backends (it would be lucky to hit 2), so
figured 8/4 would be nice and safe...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org