Re: [HACKERS] Source code format vote

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Source code format vote
Date: 2000-01-04 10:25:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake Vince Vielhaber
> > Ok, this is probably a really dumb question and probably even been answered
> > before but I missed it. Why not make a tab be a tab and however it appears
> > in the end programmer's editor can be up to the programmer? Or is pgindent
> > changing tabs to spaces?
>
> Not a dumb question at all. However, think about comments. Look at
> this example.
>
> i++; /* This variable is being incremented. I am commenting *
> * this because it is such a stupid variable name
> */
>
> Under my editor that comment lines up nicely but it will look cockeyed
> for many people reading this because I used tabs instead of spaces and
> my tabs are 4, not the usual 8.

Good point. I'm looking at it in pine right now and it's not too well
lined up.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup: $17.95/mo or less at Pop4
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com