Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

From: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Date: 1998-10-13 18:39:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Well, I was proposing that you document how to use the -rpath/-R style
> of building the v6.4beta. If you can do that in the next few days then
> it can appear in the v6.4 docs. If not, then it will wait for sometime
> later.
>
> In either case, we aren't proposing to change the current methods, which
> are independent of loader configuration and options (for example, those
> installing into /usr/lib just need to reboot to get ldconfig run), but
> rather allowing you to document the way you would suggest doing it.

Well, for Solaris I've always added '-R' flags that correspond to the
various -L flags in the appropriate make files. Since $(LIBDIR) is equal
to $(POSTGRESDIR)/lib which is the final installation directory it kind of
makes sense to use '-R' as we're only specifying additional linker search
directories as supplied to us by the user. I suppose for Unixware we
could 'setenv LD_RUN_PATH $(LIBDIR)' or something.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter(at)jurai(dot)net | This Space For Rent | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax |