Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: David Gould <dg(at)illustra(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, miker(at)scifair(dot)acadiau(dot)ca, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(
Date: 1998-05-17 16:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 17 May 1998, David Gould wrote:

> I think this is a bug. There is no reason to use more than a little bit over
> three times the input size for a sort. This is: input file, run files, output
> file. If we are not able to sort a 2 gig table on a 9 gig partition we need
> to fix it. I suspect we have a bug in the implementation, but perhaps we
> need to look at our choice of algorithm. In any case this problem should go
> on the todo list.

Have to agree here...

Micheal...if you were to dump that table into a text file, how big
would it turn out to be? Much smaller then 2gig, no? Then perform a Unix
sort on that, how long would that take? Then reload the data...

Needing more then 7gig to sort a 2gig table sounds slightly off to
me as well :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org