RE: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations

From: Jim Carroll <jim(at)carroll(dot)com>
To: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations
Date: 1999-02-03 02:50:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:29:53 -0600
> From: Jackson, DeJuan <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
> To: Jim Carroll <jim(at)carroll(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
> Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations
>
> It is currently unclear as to what will happen when you table reaches 2G
> of storage on most file systems. I think that >2G table handling got
> broken somehow.

I know this is probably a "loaded" question, but do have any idea what
might be the cause of this limitation ? Are there any FAQ's, docs or source
code references we could follow up to see about solving this problem ?

We are looking to create an index for 70 Million records. My quick
calculations show we will have a single table larger than 15GB.

---
Jim C., President | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332 | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
www.carroll.com |
www.message-server.com | Carroll-Net Message Server.