regular expression question

From: Parker Thompson <parkert(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: regular expression question
Date: 2002-06-17 23:04:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a question regarding regular expression with postgres.

I am unable to find any reference to match on word boundaries (\b in
perl). If this functionality exists in postgres I am interested in
knowing how to use it, an example would probably suffice.

If it does not, which is what I suspect, I am interested in knowing how
others have dealt with this problem. It seems silly/ineffecient to just
try all cases, i.e. field ~* (^term| term | term$), but I can't think of a
better way.

Thanks,

Parker.
"Tom would prefer you use Emacs, because it makes Justin really
mad. Justin would prefer you use vi, because he thinks Tom
suffers from some vicious malaise. You'll probably be lame and
end up using Pico."
-Shoutcast Server Documentation