RE: upgrade questions

From: David Barron <david(dot)barron(at)zencos(dot)com>
To: "Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)" <Matthew(dot)Wetmore(at)express-scripts(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: upgrade questions
Date: 2024-02-09 18:10:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

From: Wetmore, Matthew (CTR) <Matthew(dot)Wetmore(at)express-scripts(dot)com>
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2024 12:12 PM
To: David Barron <david(dot)barron(at)zencos(dot)com>; pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org

EXTERNAL SENDER
Since you are updating MAJOR versions, this is what I do before that to have ready, just in case.
(all separate files)

1. pg_dump -s
2. pg_dump -a
3. Pg_dump > *.sql (so human readable)
4. cp postgresql.conf > wherever
5. shut down pg and tar the /data dir.

There's more that you can do and this is a little overkill sometimes, but its easier to delete stuff you don't need after the fact, rather than say , darn, I wish I could look at the schema.

And then there's the RHEL layer.
Be able to go back to orig RHEL in need of full rollback.
Save off apt-get stuff (versions etc)

Yes, I had assumed I would be doing backups.