database encoding and collation.

From: "James Pang (chaolpan)" <chaolpan(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: database encoding and collation.
Date: 2022-01-12 13:31:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

We plan to migrate from Oracle to Postgresql 13, existing Oracle database charaterset WE8ISO8859P1 , NLS_SORT = BINARY, NLS_COM=BINARY. we want to keep same encoding and collation in Postgresql 13 as Oracle, so encoding= LATIN1 (Aliases ISO88591), what's the suggested collation and ctype? Using 'C','POSIX', or en_US.LATIN1 ? if using en_US.LATIN1 any impact to indexes and query where like % ?
The OS is Redhat 8, when export NLS_LANG=en_US.LATIN1, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE automatically set to en_US.LATIN1, and then initdb create database clusters with collname, collation, ctype all = en_US.LATIN1.

Thanks,

James