RES: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI

From: <carlosreimer(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "Mark Lewis" <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RES: RES: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI
Date: 2006-06-02 20:37:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Many thanks Mark,

I will consider fsync=off only to do an initial load, not for a database normal operation.

I was just thinking about this hipotetical scenario:
a) a restore database operation
b) fsync off
c) write-back on (IDE)

As I could understand, in this sceneraio, it´s normal the IDE drive be faster than the SCSI, ok?

Of course, the database is exposed because of the fsync=off, but if you consider only the system performance, then it is true. Isn´t it?

Thanks,

Reimer