RE: row filtering for logical replication

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>, japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: row filtering for logical replication
Date: 2021-11-10 01:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thur, Nov 4, 2021 10:47 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> PROPOSAL
>
> I propose that we change the way duplicate tables are processed to make it so
> that it is always the *last* one that takes effect (instead of the *first* one). AFAIK
> doing this won't affect any current PG behaviour, but doing this will let the new
> row-filter feature work in a consistent/predictable/sane way.
>
> Thoughts?

Last one take effect sounds reasonable to me.

OTOH, I think we should make the behavior here consistent with Column Filter
Patch in another thread. IIRC, in the current column filter patch, only the
first one's filter takes effect. So, maybe better to get Rahila and Alvaro's
thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Hou zj