connecting To PostgreSQL - Getting Error

From: Riyaz(at)umapinc(dot)com
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: connecting To PostgreSQL - Getting Error
Date: 2002-08-06 15:18:13
Lists: pgsql-php

Hello All,
I am running Postgresql on a linux Qube and trying to connect to it
using PHP. But it is giving me the following error:

Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: connectDB() -- connect() failed:
Connection refused Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost' and
accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5583'? in /home/groups/smarttools/web/testpg2.php on line 21

I don't think I am using Unix sockets as I can connect to the database on
psql monitor without -i option and without specifying the port number.

Any tips on solving this?

Also in what files are connectDB - - connect() functions stored?

Thanks,
Riyaz.