Re: pg_ctl start leaves dos window open

From: Richard van den Berg <richard(dot)vandenberg(at)trust-factory(dot)com>
To: mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl start leaves dos window open
Date: 2005-11-23 14:54:28
Lists: pgsql-general

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> wrote:
> > 1) Users *can* start and stop services, if you just give them
> > permissions to do so. This can be done on an individual service basis.
> > You use the security configuration editor for that.

Thanks for the hint. I've found how to do that at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288129
however, the services implementation in windows is completely braindead:
an administrator gives the rights to user postgres to start postgresql
(fine), but since the service needs to run as user postgres, I need to
enter the password in the service definition. Even when the user postgres
is logged on and wants to start the service. I don't want my password to
be stored in the registry, so I am still stuck. *sigh*

All this hassle for what in unix would only require the addition of a
single character: &

Richard van den Berg, CISSP
Trust Factory B.V. | www.dna-portal.net
Bazarstraat 44a | www.trust-factory.com
2518AK The Hague | Phone: +31 70 3620684
The Netherlands | Fax : +31 70 3603009