DIAG [HY000] server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: "Jon Raiford" <Raiford(at)labware(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DIAG [HY000] server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2016-10-18 19:59:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I am running the 32-bit v9.05.02.10 Unicode ODBC driver in one environment
(dated 15-Apr-2016). I know it may not be the latest version, but can
anyone tell me if there has been a bug recently with the ODBC driver
answering the wrong SQL_STATE during a database disconnect?

Here is a small excerpt from my ODBC trace log. This is the first error
encountered during the connection. Notice that instead of answering with
the SQL STATE [08006] or whatever it is answering a generic [HY000]. This
has required quite a lot of effort to hunt this down into a simple
scenario so I'm hopefully someone will tell me it has already been
addressed :)

v 4348-18a0 ENTER SQLAllocHandle
SQLSMALLINT 3 <SQL_HANDLE_STMT>
SQLHANDLE 0x02298080
SQLHANDLE * 0x0018F0EC

v 4348-18a0 EXIT SQLAllocHandle with return code 0
(SQL_SUCCESS)
SQLSMALLINT 3 <SQL_HANDLE_STMT>
SQLHANDLE 0x02298080
SQLHANDLE * 0x0018F0EC ( 0x0229C4E8)

v 4348-18a0 ENTER SQLExecDirectW
HSTMT 0x0229C4E8
WCHAR * 0x0018F10C [ 4] "asdf"
SDWORD 4

v 4348-18a0 EXIT SQLExecDirectW with return code -1
(SQL_ERROR)
HSTMT 0x0229C4E8
WCHAR * 0x0018F10C [ 4] "asdf"
SDWORD 4

DIAG [HY000] server closed the connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.
;
before or while processing the request.
(1)