Re: bytea or large object

From: Timothy_maguire(at)hartehanks(dot)com
To: Jean-Christophe FABRE <jean-christophe(dot)fabre(at)ensam(dot)inra(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-php-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea or large object
Date: 2002-04-03 14:48:06
Lists: pgsql-php pgsql-sql

an alternative that I do for situations like this is store the file
location in the db, then when you want to call it, you can generate a link
on the web page from the db pointing to the file. The file is stored on
the server, not in the db.

Tim.

Timothy P. Maguire
Web Developer II
Harte-Hanks
978 436 3325

Jean-Christophe FABRE
<jean-christophe(dot)fabre(at)ens To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
am.inra.fr> cc:
Sent by: Subject: bytea or large object
pgsql-php-owner(at)postgresql
.org

04/03/2002 09:47 AM

Hi,

I would like to store .pdf files in a database, which is accessed through a
PHP interface.
which is the best way to store binary data?
- bytea? (with the tricky handling of escape chars)
- large objects?

thanks

JC

PS: I didn't found any example of scripts using bytea in PHP, does someone
has some?