Re: getting back autonumber just inserted

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: lorid <lorid(at)dri(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting back autonumber just inserted
Date: 2005-02-04 14:11:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

I don't work with M$ DBs, but saw that "autonumber" is an M$ concept.
Purely for my own edification, how do you get the most resent value of an
autonumber in M$? I was helping someone out who was using M$ stuff and was
amazed that there was no currval function.

Thanks,

Rick

Scott Marlowe
<smarlowe(at)g2switchw To: lorid <lorid(at)dri(dot)edu>
orks.com> cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent by: Subject: Re: [SQL] getting back autonumber just inserted
pgsql-sql-owner(at)pos
tgresql.org

02/03/2005 05:16 PM

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 16:16, lorid wrote:
> I could have sworn I kept a copy of prior emails that discussed how to
> get back a value that was just inserted into a autonumber (or in
> postgresql case a sequence number)

If you know the name of the sequence the number came from you can use
currval():

insert into table1 (info) values ('abc');
select currval('table1seq');

Assuming table1seq is the name of the sequence here.

In 8.0 there's a function to do this (I'm not sure of the name, but a
quick search of the 8.0 docs should turn it up.)