Re: Vacuum full error No one parent tuple

From: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane <tgl" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum full error No one parent tuple
Date: 2002-12-04 20:25:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

thank you

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-422-1610 office
HatcherPT - AIM

Tom Lane
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)p To: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
a.us> cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Vacuum full error No one parent tuple
12/04/2002
12:25 PM

"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com> writes:
> process has creeped up to about 20 mins. So I tried a Vacuum Full
Analyze.
> The process stops and I get an error: No one parent tuple was found.

This is a known bug in 7.2 --- IIRC, vacuum can get confused by some
situations involving rollback after SELECT FOR UPDATE. It's pretty
harmless other than preventing you from using VACUUM FULL.

You can update to 7.3 to get the fix, or I think that just doing a
dummy SELECT * FOR UPDATE will clear the condition.

7.2.3 fixes some but not all cases of this, so an update to 7.2.3
might or might not help.

regards, tom lane