A question regarding postgresql log messages,

From: AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu
Subject: A question regarding postgresql log messages,
Date: 2019-03-21 11:02:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello PostgreSQL Community!

I have a question regarding PostgreSQL log messages.

Operating with PostgreSQL and configuring it we need to understand that
everything goes well. To do this we monitor PostgreSQL log to be sure
that database works properly indeed.
We can do it based on error codes described here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/errcodes-appendix.html
and based on these error codes we can see if something is wrong.

But in my view this is not enough. For example a message
53400 configuration_limit_exceeded
can be represented in log with different severities: PANIC/ERROR/WARNING.
And there are a number of other similar examples.

So, the problem is that it is not easy to understand if the error is
really critical for system or not.

As far as I know a number of object-relational database management systems
provide full list of possible messages and relations between them.
It helps to understand that some critical error is not active any more and
the database works properly.

Is there such a list for PostgreSQL which contains all the possible events
and their error codes. Is there a tool which helps to realize that some
FATAL/PANIC message is not actual now?

Thank You in advance,
Andrei Yahorau