PAM LDAP CREATE USER

From: Aaron_Wright(at)selinc(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PAM LDAP CREATE USER
Date: 2015-10-26 22:00:14
Lists: pgsql-general

I recently upgraded from 8.4 to 9.3, and my custom LDAP PAM module no
longer works.
In brief, my LDAP PAM module authenticates a centralized user and then
creates a matching database user, using a separate super user connection
to the database, before returning successfully from the PAM module. This
used to work beautifully, but now I get a FATAL error, "role %s does not
exist".
Did I depend on a "feature" that got fixed at some point? Is this an issue
with the connection already being started, so no new users are considered?
Is there a way to make this work?