failed Delete after Insert in a transaction

From: "Andrew Snow" <als(at)fl(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "Pgsql-General(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: failed Delete after Insert in a transaction
Date: 2000-07-23 13:51:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Why won't PostgreSQL let me do this?

db=# begin;
BEGIN
db=# insert into foo (name) values ('hmmm');
INSERT 22288 1
db=# delete from foo where name='hmmm';
ERROR: triggered data change violation on relation "foo"
db=# abort;

The table foo is defined like this:

CREATE TABLE foo (
ID serial PRIMARY KEY,
Name text NOT NULL
);

I can't work out what I am doing wrong!

Note, there is another table that REFERENCES this table, but as you can see
in the example transaction above, I don't touch any other tables. Also note
that it works fine outside of a transaction.

I am running postgresql 7.02 on FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE.

Thanks

Andrew