Re: Java GUI development

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "Bear Giles" <bgiles(at)coyotesong(dot)com>, "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Java GUI development
Date: 2002-06-05 20:38:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I just read Tony's comments regarding jsp, and my first reaction was similar
to his (who needs it?), but on second thought, it seems so simple to leave
the hooks in there for *any* presentation method that we'd be silly not to
design with this in mind.

> I think this could be handled by creating an explicit beans layer,
> with iterators (cursors) supporting lazy loads, and then swing,
> JSP, and whatever just use that layer as much as possible.

I agree with Bear- essentially, if we work carefully in a MVC framework,
then the "V" could be swing, jsp, velocity, etc... I'd suggest building the
swing version first, but with good design we won't be limited to that in the
long run- it will be a foundation that others can build on if they want a
different View.

-Nick