What's up with bytea support/documentation?

From: "Michael V(dot) Harding" <mvh(at)corp(dot)namesafe(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What's up with bytea support/documentation?
Date: 2001-10-04 18:12:04
Lists: pgsql-general

What's up with bytea? I can't find any documentation on it, I find it
in old (6 series) FAQs, I can't figure out if the data is escaped in the
database or if you just have to escape the sql, etc.

Is this a supported but undocumented feature?

Is documentation going to appear?

There have been some references to bytea being documented in the 7.2 docs
but I can't find it there any more. We would like to use this feature to
store small images, certificates, etc. but with no docs and no indication
of this being a supported feature I'm stuck.

- Mike Harding