RE: pg_dump / Unique constraints

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pg_dump / Unique constraints
Date: 2000-11-23 02:21:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just a quick question regarding the pg_dump program:

I notice that PRIMARY KEY constraints are currently dumped as:

PRIMARY KEY ("field")

Whereas (to be in line with all the other constraints), it should be dumped
as:

CONSTRAINT "name" PRIMARY KEY ("field")

Otherwise, some poor bugger who went to the trouble of giving his primary
keys custom names will lose them with a dump/restore???

Also, if they have defined a function or trigger that refers to that primary
key by name, won't it fail after a dump/restore? (If the name has changed?)

I'm just asking, because I'm still trying to find something small and
self-contained I can work on!

Chris