[GENERAL] insert BLOB

From: "David Lanier" <david(at)mids(dot)net>
To: "PGSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [GENERAL] insert BLOB
Date: 1999-10-14 15:15:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm relatively new to Postgres.

I'd like some help setting up a BLOB (binary large object) field to hold
images, and more importantly, inserting data (images) into it. We're using
version 6.5.1.

I tried this:

CREATE TABLE images (imagefield blob);

but I got an error, stating "Unable to locate type name 'blob' in catalog"

Probably a better way to accomplish the same thing is to store the graphics
in the file system, and then simply have a column that contains the location
(ie http://www.domain.com/images/image1.gif), but I'd still like to know how
to place the image itself directly into the database.

Thanks in advance for whatever help any of you can provide.

David