Per-server univocal identifier

From: "Giampaolo Tomassoni" <g(dot)tomassoni(at)libero(dot)it>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Per-server univocal identifier
Date: 2006-06-17 22:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dears,

I'm looking for a way to univocally identify the server on which a sql function or statement is running. My idea would be something close to the value returned by a 'host -f' under linux: the FQDN of the host, but even a serial code or a number would be fine to me. It needs only to be immutable, I guess.

I know there is something suitable under Oracle and, even worse, under mysql...

The purpose is mostly related to a light replication problem I have, in which I need to 'emulate' a multi-master replication on a table.

I placed a question on the IRC list and I found a couple of unreplied messages asking the same thing in the pgsql-general list.

Regards,

Giampaolo Tomassoni - IT Consultant
Piazza VIII Aprile 1948, 4
I-53044 Chiusi (SI) - Italy