Re: add column sillyness

From: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add column sillyness
Date: 2003-12-16 13:34:15
Lists: pgsql-general

rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com says...

> tested, solid, native replication both syncronous and asyncronous (at least
> they list this as a feature, I assume it works as advertised)

As an Interbase/Firebird user, I'm confused by this.

There is a replication solution, but AFAIK, it's commercial - not Open
Source.

> native windows versions

This is true - if PostgreSQL got its install/setup as easy as for IB/FB,
they would really start to go places!

> scales down better for embedded apps

There is a dll version available for single user apps - which makes
installation very nice (on Windows).

> The first feature is something that is not a huge deal to me right now but
> it probably will be someday. Right now I do a full backup every 15 minutes
> and rsync it to a backup db server. As my databases are small right now
> this is not much of a problem. I'm hoping that this feature will pop up in
> postgres before it becomes a must have.

I thought that there was a commerical Replicator that has gone Open
Source? Is there more than one project for PG?

> Does anyone have a link to such a comparison? Also can anyone elaborate on
> the features that postgres has that firebird lacks? If there were some
> obvious show stoppers in firebird it would save me the time of having to do
> a trial port of an app to firebird before I find them on my own.

What would constitute a "show stopper" for you?

Paul...

--

plinehan x__AT__x yahoo x__DOT__x com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.