RE: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE OF

From: Alan Thomas <at(dot)light(at)live(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE OF
Date: 2020-12-17 22:39:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi David,

Thanks for responding.

> It is. "If specific tables are named in a locking clause, then only rows coming from those tables are locked;"

I see – thanks for pointing it out.

It would be good if this sentence actually referred to "OF" by name. The section on locking clauses is long and densely written, and a direct mention of the syntax element would help the reader find the relevant information.

Even an example using FOR UPDATE OF ... might be a useful addition.

> I'll agree that the docs don't indicate that "table_name" has to be unqualified.

We shouldn't need to work things out by guesswork / resolving error messages. This should be in the docs so we can get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Alan