Sorting Problem

From: "Tim Edwards" <mor4321(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sorting Problem
Date: 2003-08-12 21:58:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Currently I'm running PostgreSQL 7.2.3 and having a problem sorting.

I've got two colums of data, one Int4 one Varchar.

When I sort ASC on the varchar I get some strange results. Here a section of
data cut after running a sort. It starts with RM- then does RMT- Then goes
back for more RM-. I've checked for spaces or tabs or anything else odd and
cant find anything that would effect the sort.

63 RM-791
38 RM-AV2100
9 RM-PP401
10 RM-PP402
8 RM-PP404
3 RMT-D10
4 RMT-D108A
5 RMT-D109A
6 RMT-D116A
34 RMT-V402
40 RM-V10
41 RM-V11
45 RM-V12

Here's the sort string I'm using:

SELECT "remote_id", "remote_model" FROM "remote" ORDER BY "remote_model"
ASC;

Any idea or suggestions why it would do this ?