Encoding

From: "Thomas De Vos" <devos_thomas(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-jdbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <ThomasDeVos(at)it-enterprise(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Encoding
Date: 2002-05-06 19:58:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hiya,

I was 2 months ago using the sourceforge JDBC driver on WinNt as client and
HP-UX as server (so PostgresQl) server. At time I had problems with the
extented ASII set, all the characters were converted to "?". So I switched
to the org.postgresql.Driver and problem seems to be solved.
Now 2 months later we have to go into production and the target OS is Debian
Linux for client and server. And guess what I can see the same problem, all
characters belonging to the extented set are converted to "?".

I have written a small testprogram, create one connection and tries to
insert data with Java and JDBC. This seems not to work. But .... if I insert
data with psql -h ... -f insertcommandfile.sql and look then in the database
then there is no problem at all. Extented Characters are inserted. So I
suppose the Db is correctly configured. (eg client-encoding and server
encoding).
I have seen that ages ago the JDBC driver had problems with encoding but
this was solved I thought.
I'm testing with this character: é, but also other characters has the same
problem.

I need help .... Real help ...

Kind regards,

Thomas De Vos
IT Enterprise Ltd
Phone: 00 44 (0)127 650 5385
Mobile: 00 44 (0)777 990 7717
ThomasDeVos(at)it-enterprise(dot)co(dot)uk