Re: order by <something wierd>

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Mathieu Arnold" <mat(at)mat(dot)cc>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: order by <something wierd>
Date: 2002-05-14 12:05:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mathieu --

You're asking to have it be sorted as {2,1,3}, but the sample result data
you give seems to sort by {1,2,3}. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

In any event, some possible solutions:

1) custom function

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION weird_sort(int) RETURNS int AS '
BEGIN
IF $1=2 THEN
RETURN 1;
ELSIF $1=1 THEN
RETURN 2;
ELSE RETURN 3;
END IF;
END'
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

then

SELECT * FROM a ORDER BY weird_sort(col3);

The nice thing about this is that you could index the result of
weird_sort(col3), so it could perform better.

2) inlined in sql

SELECT * FROM a
ORDER BY CASE WHEN col3=2 THEN 1
WHEN col3=1 THEN 2
ELSE 3
END;

3) union

SELECT * FROM a
WHERE col3=2

UNION ALL

SELECT * FROM a
WHERE col3=1

UNION ALL

SELECT * FROM a
WHERE col3=3;

#1 (with index) or #3 might perform better. Test with your data and see.

Joel BURTON | joel(at)joelburton(dot)com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant