Re: efficient query help

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Laurette Cisneros" <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Sql(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: efficient query help
Date: 2002-04-24 14:06:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hmmm... Is this better? Please let me know; it looks better with a small set
of sample data, but I'd be curious how it does with your real table:

select id,
flag,
sum(count)

from ( select id,
flag,
1 as count
from log
where flgtime='2002-04-16'

union all

select id,
f.flag,
0 as count
from log l,
flags f

/* don't think this is neccessary where flgtime <> '2002-04-16' */

) as t

where flag is not null

group by id, flag;

[ for others: the point of the query is to count the number of unique
id/flag combos on 4/16/2002, and union this with all possible combos of
ids/flags that aren't present on non-4/16/2002 ]

Joel BURTON | joel(at)joelburton(dot)com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant