Re: Begin / End blocks

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Begin / End blocks
Date: 2002-05-14 21:18:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Begin / End blocksRunning Postgres 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 2.4.7-rel 10.
I'm trying to learn how to use the BEGIN / END
blocks. My goal is to test the count
of a table and do such and such from there.

[pseudo code]

begin
if
select sum (*) from table < 1500
then
select into new_table * from table
else
return ''f'';
end if;
end

[/code]

questions:

* Do I have to make this a function?

* Is there a way to assign the value of
the count (or, sum of records in table)
to a variable and test for -that- ?

* I'm looking at the postgresql.org site
for examples, but all of the BEGIN / END
blocks are within creating a function - I'm
not sure I want to create one ...

* I'm sure the code above is wrong
(especially with the if statement) -
where can I find better code (groups.
google.com isn't working well, either).

BEGIN/END can refer to beginning and ending transactions (for safety,
speed, etc.)

This is different from BEGIN/END as used in function. What you want is to
create a function. Look in the programmer's manual under procedural
languages for help using plpgsql.