how to perform a manual failover with patroni without applying any outstanding WAL?

From: "Zwettler Markus (OIZ)" <Markus(dot)Zwettler(at)zuerich(dot)ch>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to perform a manual failover with patroni without applying any outstanding WAL?
Date: 2024-07-12 10:15:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a simple Patroni config (1 primary + 1 standby).

We configured the standby to run 3 hours behind the primary:
+ recovery_min_apply_delay: '3h' # standby 3 hours behind
+ synchronous_mode: false # asynchron

In case there is a logical problem on the primary (wrong data processing, misleaded application upgrade,...) we want to perform a manual failover to the standby, which still contains the old, correct data status.
That means the standby should __not__ apply any more WALs within the 3 hour residue in the event of a manual failover.

When I tried a "patronictl failover" the standby first applied all outstanding WALs (which I don't want) and only then promoted the standby.
Any idea?