DROP COLUMN Progress

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DROP COLUMN Progress
Date: 2002-07-05 07:57:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK,

This is the problem I'm having with the DROP COLUMN implementation. Since
I've already incorporated all of Hiroshi's changes, I think this may have
been an issue in his trial implementation as well.

I have attached my current patch, which works fine and compiles properly.

Ok, if you drop a column 'b', then all these work properly:

select * from tab;
select tab.* from tab;
select b from tab;
update tab set b = 3;
select * from tab where b = 3;
insert into tab (b) values (3);

That's all good. However, the issue is that one of the things that happens
when you drop a column is that the column is renamed to 'dropped_%attnum%'.
So, say the 'b' column is renamed to 'dropped_2', then you can do this:

select dropped_2 from tab;
select tab.dropped_2 from tab;
update tab set dropped_2 = 3;
select * from tab where dropped_2 = 3;

Where have I missed the COLUMN_IS_DROPPED checks???

Another thing: I don't want to name dropped columns 'dropped_...' as I
think that's unfair on our non-English speaking users. Should I just use
'xxxx' or something?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Attachment Content-Type Size
dropcolumn.txt.gz application/x-gzip 9.7 KB