Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Justin Clift" <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Vince Vielhaber" <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date: 2002-08-20 03:50:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I'd like to see something done about this fairly soon, but it's not
> > happening for 7.3 ...
>
> Hang on, you seem to be suggesting we release a major new upgrade, with
> major new functionality, knowing it contains a way to trivially crash
> the backend.
>
> Err.. hang on. What happened to our reputation for quality and
> releasing "when it's ready"?
>
> Since when were we Microsoft-ized?

I personally agree with Justin that it should be fixed for 7.3 (just imagine
all those people selling colo postgres services). There should be a 7.2.2
as well that fixes the date parser problem.

However, if you let people just run anything they want on your server (eg.
select cash_out(2);) then you're already in a world of pain because they can
quite easily DOS you by doing large, expensive queries, creating 1000
billion row tables, etc., etc.

Chris