Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres

From: "H(dot)J(dot) Sanders" <hjs(at)rmax(dot)nl>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: converting Informix outer to Postgres
Date: 2006-11-08 12:27:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

From some documentation:

In INFORMIX SQL, outer tables are defined in the FROM clause with the OUTER keyword :

SELECT ... FROM a, OUTER(b)
WHERE a.key = b.akey

SELECT ... FROM a, OUTER(b,OUTER(c))
WHERE a.key = b.akey
AND b.key1 = c.bkey1
AND b.key2 = c.bkey2

PostgreSQL 7.1 supports the ANSI outer join syntax :

SELECT ... FROM cust LEFT OUTER JOIN order
ON cust.key = order.custno

SELECT ...
FROM cust LEFT OUTER JOIN order
LEFT OUTER JOIN item