postgres authentication

From: "Tena Sakai" <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres authentication
Date: 2007-08-08 00:45:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everybody,

I am having a problem with crating user. It has to do
with authentication. What I want is to authenticate
a user via an ldap server.

I created postgres account by:
create user donder with
createdb
login
in group analysis;

and added the following line to pg_hba.conf file:
host all donder ldap://amarula.egcrc.orgsent

sent a hup signal like this:
pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data reload

When I become user donder to connect to database, this is what I get:
psql: FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file
HINT: See server log for details.

The serverlog says:
LOG: invalid IP address "ldap:" in file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf" line 55: Name or service not known
FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file
HINT: See server log for details.

I am looking at the manual, PostgreSQL 8.2.1 Documentation, chapter 20.
In section 20.2.5, they talk about ldap authentication, but it's
a bit sketchy. The example given is:
ldap://ldap.example.net/dc=example,dc=net;EXAMPLE\

I have no idea what "dc=" means, and what does ";EXAMPLE\" mean?
Can anyone please explain what this means? If you have done
what I am trying to do, please furnish a working example.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu