Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?

From: Gregory Youngblood <gsyoungblood(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Dan Armbrust <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?
Date: 2005-08-02 17:55:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 2, 2005, at 8:16 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:01:50AM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>

>> I shouldn't have to manually run Analyze to make the DB be capable of
>> handling inserts involving tables with foreign keys correctly. My
>> code
>> that is doing the inserts is a java application that works across
>> multiple DBS - MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, MS Access, Sybase, etc.
>>

> [etc, rant removed]
>
> You don't _have_ to be rude. This is a known limitation, and people
> have suggested the usual workarounds. This is an open source
> project --
> if you think you can make it better, please by all means post a patch.

Not to fan the flames, so to speak, but I do have on question. If
this is a known limitation, I'd expect the behavior to be consistent.
Instead, he is saying that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it
runs fine, other times it slows down to a snail's pace.

So, does that mean the known problem is indeed intermittent, and not
something that happens every time? Or, is this an issue that can be
mostly eliminated with appropriate tuning?

I ask, because I may soon be facing similar problems, and forewarned
is forearmed. I'd like to anticipate this and tune things accordingly
before it becomes an issue.

Thanks,
Greg