Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4

From: Waldo Nell <pwnell(at)telkomsa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recommended optimisations slows down PostgreSQL 8.4
Date: 2011-08-12 00:27:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 2011-08-11, at 17:18 , ktm(at)rice(dot)edu wrote:

> One guess is that you are using the defaults for other costing parameters and they
> do not accurately reflect your system. This means that it will be a crap shoot as
> to whether a plan is faster or slower and what will affect the timing.

Ok, but I thought the way to best optimise PostgreSQL is to start with the parameters having the biggest impact and work from there. To adjust multiple parameters would not give a clear indication as to the benefit of each, as they may cancel each other out.

To test your theory, what other parameters should I be looking at? Here are some more with their current values:

random_page_cost = 4.0
effective_cache_size = 128MB

Remember this runs on SATA so random seeks are not as fast as say SSD.