Creating of User and Database

From: "APSC, Patrick Chee Seng Onn" <APSC(at)bossard(dot)com(dot)sg>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating of User and Database
Date: 2006-05-11 02:35:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I've just installed postgresql onto my system but unable to successfully add new users and databases. I would receive a error message:

createuser: could not connect to database template1: FATAL user "root" does not exist

createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL user "root" does not exist

what is the error I am facing anyway?

Patrick